|About Lipidil Supra
Lipidil Supra reduces blood cholesterol, in particular cholesterol associated with low and very low density lipoproteins (LDL and VLDL-cholesterol). Lipidil Supra also reduces high triglyceride levels associated with hypercholesterolemia. Blood uric acid levels are also reduced by Lipidil Supra treatment. The mechanism of action of Lipidil Supra is not fully established.
Lipidil Supra is only available on prescription. This medicine should only be used to supplement an appropriate diet recommended and followed up by your doctor for the long-term treatment of raised lipid levels; prescription of this medicine in no way replaces dietary treatment. In addition, depending on the situation, your doctor may recommend further physical exercise, weight loss or other measures.
Comply exactly to the terms of the prescription. Do not change the dose without your doctor's advice. Consult your doctor before stopping treatment since to do so may result in an increase in your blood lipid levels.
Before using Lipidil Supra:
Your doctor must know:
- if you have taken Lipidil Supra or any other lipid treatment before and if it caused an allergy or was otherwise poorly tolerated;
- if you suffer from liver or kidney problems;
- if you have a gallbladder or gallstone problem;
- if you are pregnant, or intend to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding, or intend to breast-feed;
- if you are taking other medicines, in particular an oral anticoagulant such as warfarin (Coumadin).
Proper Use of the Medicine:
- Lipidil Supra should be taken with meals, as directed by your doctor.
- It is particularly important to follow this advice because fenofibrate is less well absorbed and hence less effective when not taken with food.
- Your doctor will ask you to have regular medical check-ups and laboratory tests. It is important to respect the dates proposed: we strongly recommend that you keep faithfully these appointments.
- Inform your doctor of any health problem that occurs while you are taking Lipidil Supra as well as any prescription or nonprescription medicine. If you need other medical treatment let the doctor know that you are taking Lipidil Supra.
- Tell your doctor if you feel in any way unwell while taking Lipidil Supra (see Unwanted Effects).
- Safety of use in children and young adolescents has not been established with Lipidil Supra.
- The effects of Lipidil Supra in preventing heart attacks, atherosclerosis or heart disease are not yet known.
- Lipidil Supra is contraindicated during pregnancy. In the event of pregnancy during treatment, Lipidil Supra should be discontinued and the physician should be informed.
- It is not recommended to take Lipidil Supra while breast-feeding.
In addition to its intended action, any medicine may cause unwanted effects. Unwanted effects may occur in certain patients. They may appear and disappear without involving any particular risk but if any unwanted effect persists or becomes bothersome you must let your doctor know without delay. Such unwanted effects may consist of:
- abdominal pains
- skin reactions
- muscular pain or cramps
This medicine is prescribed for a particular health problem and for your personal use. Do not give it to other persons.
Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
If you want further information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.