Cozaar (losartan potassium) is a green film-coated teardrop shaped tablet which contains either 25, 50 or 100 mg of losartan as the active ingredient.
In addition, Cozaar contains the following nonmedicinal ingredients: hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, cornstarch and coloring agents (D&C Yellow No. 10 aluminum lake, FD&C Blue No. 2 aluminum lake, and titanium dioxide). Cozaar 25, 50 and 100 mg tablets contain the following amounts of potassium: 2.12 mg (<1 mmol), 4.24 mg (<1 mmol) and 8.48 mg (<1 mmol) respectively.
Although Cozaar tablets contain potassium, this amount is too small to replace potassium supplements. If your physician has prescribed potassium supplements, continue to follow his advice.
Cozaar belongs to a class of drugs known as angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Its action is to lower blood pressure.
Why has my physician prescribed Cozaar?
Your physician has prescribed Cozaar because you have a condition known as hypertension or high blood pressure.
- What is blood pressure? The pressure caused by your heart pumping blood to all parts of your body is called blood pressure. Your blood pressure changes during the day depending on activity, stress and excitement. Your blood pressure is made up of 2 numbers, for instance 120/80. The top number measures the force while your heart pumps. The bottom number measures the force at rest, between heartbeats.
- What is high blood pressure (or hypertension)? You have high blood pressure or hypertension if your blood pressure stays high even when you are calm and relaxed.
- How do I know if I have high blood pressure? There are usually no symptoms of high blood pressure. The only way of knowing that you have hypertension is to know your blood pressure. For that reason, you should have your blood pressure checked on a regular basis.
- Why should high blood pressure be treated? High blood pressure if left untreated can damage vital organs like the heart and the kidneys. You may feel fine and have no symptoms, but eventually hypertension can lead to strokes, heart attacks, heart failure, kidney failure or blindness.
- How should high blood pressure be treated? Once high blood pressure is diagnosed, some treatments other than drugs may be recommended. Your physician may recommend some changes in lifestyle. Your physician may decide that you also need medicine to control your blood pressure. Cozaar does not cure high blood pressure, but does help control it. Your physician can tell you what your individual blood pressure target should be. Keep this number in mind and follow your physician's advice on how to reach this target.
- How does Cozaar treat high blood pressure? Cozaar lowers blood pressure by specifically blocking a naturally-occurring substance called angiotensin II. Angiotensin II normally tightens your blood vessels. Treatment with Cozaar allows them to relax. Although your physician will be able to tell you that the medicine is working by measuring your blood pressure, you probably will feel no different while you are taking Cozaar.
What should I know before taking Cozaar?
- Do not take Cozaar if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Use in pregnancy and breast-feeding: It is not recommended to use Cozaar while you are pregnant or breast feeding. If you are pregnant or become pregnant while taking Cozaar, talk to your physician as soon as possible.
- What should I tell my physician or pharmacist before taking Cozaar? Tell your physician or pharmacist about any medical problems you have or have had, and about any allergies. Tell your physician if you have recently suffered from excess vomiting or diarrhea. It is particularly important to tell your physician if you have liver or kidney disease.
- Use in children: Cozaar should not be given to children.
- Use in elderly: Cozaar works equally well and is equally well tolerated by most older and younger patients.
- Can I take Cozaar with other medicines? As with most medicines, interaction with other drugs is possible. Therefore, do not take any other medicines unless you have discussed the matter with your physician or your pharmacist. Certain medicines tend to increase your blood pressure, for example, nonprescription preparations for appetite control, asthma, colds, coughs, hay fever and sinus problems. It is especially important for your physician and your pharmacist to know if you are taking potassium supplements, potassium-sparing agents or salt substitutes containing potassium.
- Can I drive or operate machinery while using Cozaar? Almost all patients can, but you should not perform tasks which may require special attention (for example, driving an automobile or operating dangerous machinery) until you know how you respond to your medicine.
How should I take Cozaar?
Take Cozaar every day exactly as your physician has instructed. It is important to continue taking Cozaar for as long as your physician prescribes it in order to maintain smooth control of your blood pressure.
Cozaar may be taken with or without food, but it should be taken consistently with respect to food intake, at the same time every day.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
Try to take Cozaar daily as prescribed. However, if you miss a dose, do not take an extra dose. Just resume your usual schedule.
What should I do in case of an overdose?
In case of an overdose, contact your physician immediately so that medical attention may be given promptly.
What undesirable effects may Cozaar have?
Any medicine may have unintended or undesirable effects, so-called side effects. Most patients do not have side effects from Cozaar; however, some patients may experience dizziness, lightheadedness or rash including hives. Tell your physician or pharmacist promptly about these or any other unusual symptoms.
If you develop an allergic reaction involving swelling of the face, lips, throat, and/or tongue which may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing, stop taking Cozaar and contact your physician immediately.
How can I learn more about Cozaar and high blood pressure?
You may obtain further information from your physician or pharmacist, who have more detailed information about the product and high blood pressure.
How should I store Cozaar?
Store Cozaar at room temperature (15 to 30°C). Protect from light.