|Why do I need Actos?
Actos is one of five types of diabetes pills currently used to treat Type 2 diabetes. It will help keep your blood glucose levels within your target range by making your body more sensitive to insulin.
Remember, the cornerstone of diabetes is unchanged: it is important to follow a meal plan and to exercise regularly. Diabetes pills are another tool to help manage your blood glucose.
How does Actos work?
- Actos improves how the body uses insulin.
- Actos decreases the amount of glucose released by the liver.
- Actos does not cause the body to make insulin, therefore, when used alone, it does not cause low blood glucose (hypoglycemia).
Guidelines for Use:
- Actos can be taken with or without food.
- Some medications similar to Actos have caused liver problems. Although Actos has not been associated with liver problems, the doctor will check your liver function prior to you using the medication and periodically during treatment.
- To further improve your blood glucose control, your doctor may have you use Actos in combination with another diabetes pill or with insulin.
- When Actos is used with insulin or a group of diabetes pills called sulfonylureas (like Glyburide), you could experience low blood glucose (hypoglycemia). The amount of insulin or dose of sulfonylurea may need to be changed.
What should I do if I forget to take my dose?
If you forget your does at the usual time, take it later that same day. If you forget for an entire day, however, do not “double” the dose the next day, just resume taking your Actos as usual.
What are the side effects of Actos?
Side effects of Actos may include:
- Headache, Sinusitis, Muscle Aches, Fluid Retention.
- If you develop excessive weight gain, swelling of the feet & ankles or shortness of breath, call the doctor right away
How will I know if Actos is working?
Check you blood glucose at times specified by your doctor. If your glucose or Hgb A1C is within target most of the time, the dose is working. If the blood glucose remains high eventually a change in dose may be needed.
Actos comes in 3 dosage strengths; 15 mg, 30 mg and 45 mg. The most usual dose is 30 mg a day.